Friday, December 14, 2018

Sources: White Sox sign catcher James McCann (puke)

James McCann
The White Sox are going the cheap route again.

The team on Friday agreed to a contract with catcher James McCann, pending a physical, according to MLB.com.

MLB Network insider Jon Heyman reports the deal is worth $2.5 million.

For me, that's about $2.5 million too many. The 28-year-old McCann posted a .220/.267/.314 slash line with eight home runs and 39 RBIs in 118 games in 2018. That season is worse than his career slash of .240/.288/.366. While McCann is competent at controlling the running game, he grades poorly as a receiver and a blocker.

He was non-tendered by the 98-loss Detroit Tigers after the season. What does that tell you?

As we mentioned earlier on this blog, there are several catchers available to be acquired this offseason. The Sox, somehow, managed to sign the least impressive name on the list.

Why not just bring back Alex Avila or see what Dioner Navarro is up to?

2 comments:

  1. It amazes me how many people will denigrate MLB players. At least they have the where with all to get to that level. Obviously, Mr. Bauman did not and doesn't have the capability to play at any level. Perhaps being a 'ball boy' would best suit his abilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm better at my job than James McCann is at his. And I sign my name to my comments.

    ReplyDelete