Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Gerrit Cole picks Yankees over 'mystery team(s)'

Gerrit Cole
When we last talked on this blog, I predicted free agent pitcher Gerrit Cole would get an eight-year deal in the $320 million range. I wasn't accurate, but I wasn't ridiculously off the mark, either.

Cole on Tuesday agreed to terms with the New York Yankees on a nine-year, $324 million contract that is the most expensive deal ever signed by a pitcher.

I had a feeling this news was going to break before the Winter Meetings ended. Why? Because I was seeing tweets from MLB Network's Jon Heyman on how "mystery teams" had entered the negotiations for Cole.

That, of course, was complete baloney. Scott Boras, who is the agent for Cole and many other top players, always claims that a "mystery team" is involved when he's nearing the completion of a deal.

It's a negotiating tactic to get one more year, or maybe an extra $10 million, for his client from whatever team the player is going to sign with.

You would think by now clubs would be on to this, but not really. They just pay up and give Boras what he wants. I literally started laughing when I read about Cole and the mystery teams.

Those mystery teams would be the Yankees, the Yankees and the Yankees. He was never going anywhere else. Since when has a Boras client signed with a "mystery team"?

No comments:

Post a Comment