Monday, March 8, 2021

White Sox will have some fans in stands when season begins

The authoritarians in charge of Illinois have come down from on high and told us it's OK for Chicago's baseball teams to host fans at 20% capacity when the season starts in April.

Effectively, that means a little more than 8,000 people will be allowed into Guaranteed Rate Field when the home portion of the White Sox schedule begins April 8 against the Kansas City Royals.

Will I be among them? I don't know so, but I hope so. I immediately emailed my ticket rep to request information, but she didn't have much for me -- which I guess is understandable because 24 hours ago, I was figuring I would need to go on the road to see the Sox in person this summer.

In any case, I later received an email from Sox marketing guru Brooks Boyer, and priority is rightfully being given to Sox season-ticket holders, with type of plan and years of seniority determining the pecking order. That's the only fair way to do it. I've had a partial season-ticket plan for the past 16 years, so I'm guessing I'll be pretty close to the front of the line after the full season-ticket holders have been accommodated.

Frankly, I have no idea how many full season-ticket holders the Sox have, and given that they have first priority, it's very possible that they will snap up all 8,000-some seats available for the first game. If that's the case, yeah, I'll be disappointed to not go, but I get it. Or maybe enough of those folks will be scared of the virus that an opportunity will fall in my hands.

I'd like to believe that I'll be able to attend at least one home game on that first homestand with the seniority I have built up. We shall see, and something is better than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment