Monday, January 9, 2023

White Sox closer Liam Hendriks diagnosed with cancer

White Sox closer Liam Hendriks announced on social media Sunday that he has been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

"My treatment begins [Monday], and I am confident that I will make a full recovery and be back on the mound as soon as possible." Hendriks said in his Instagram post. "I know with the support of my wife, my family, my teammates and the Chicago White Sox organization, along with the treatment and care from my doctors, I will get through this.”

White Sox general manager Rick Hahn released the following statement:  

“Our thoughts and reactions at this time are for Liam the person, not Liam the baseball player. I know the entire Chicago White Sox organization, our staff, his teammates, and certainly White Sox fans, will rally in support of Liam and [wife] Kristi during the coming months. Knowing everyone involved, especially Liam, we are optimistic he will pitch again for the White Sox as soon as viable. In the meantime, we all will do everything in our power to support our teammate and his family as they face this challenge, while also respecting their privacy.

“We do not expect to have any updates on Liam’s playing status prior to Opening Day at the very earliest.”

Hendriks, 33, has made the American League All-Star team in each of his two seasons with the Sox. He led the league with 38 saves in 2021 when the South Siders won the AL Central Division championship. He followed that up with 37 saves and a 2.81 ERA over 58 appearances for the Sox in 2022.

Once spring training begins, we'll have plenty of time to speculate about how the Sox will deal with Hendriks' absence on the field. For now, the best thing to do is wish Hendriks well as he begins treatment, and pray for his return to full health.

No comments:

Post a Comment