Monday, April 3, 2023

White Sox embarrass themselves in home opener

Once upon a time, the day the White Sox began their home schedule was one of my favorite days of the year. Today, however, was just another Monday. Nothing more, nothing less. I never considered attending today's game.

I wasn't interested in going. I'm sick of the organization. I'm sick of all the big talk and no results. I don't like the owner. I don't like the front office. I don't like the players. I'm not excited about the season. I'm completely ready to move on from this era of Sox baseball. 

There was no reason for me to take a day off work to watch more slop, especially because the home opener is about a $200 investment. 

Sitting this one out was a good decision, as the San Francisco Giants pounded seven home runs and embarrassed the Sox, 12-3, at Guaranteed Rate Field.

I'm really happy I chose not to light $200 on fire by going to this game.

Michael Kopech pitched a terrible game for the Sox. He went 4.2 innings and allowed seven earned runs on eight hits, including five homers. He gave up four home runs in the top of the fifth inning alone. He exited the game trailing 7-0.

The Sox got two runs back in the seventh, highlighted by Andrew Vaughn's RBI double. They made it 7-3 in the eighth on Luis Robert Jr.'s second home run of the season.

However, the Giants put it away by blasting reliever Jose Ruiz for two more homers and five runs in the ninth. We've heard a lot of talk this spring about Ruiz pitching well for Team Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic, and how he's "ready" for more high-leverage work.

Well, right now, Ruiz is so bad that he's a candidate for release. He's given up seven earned runs in two innings across three appearances so far this season. The guy is 28 years old, and he's been with the Sox since 2018. Let's be honest about who he is: He's the 12th or 13th guy on a pitching staff on a mediocre team. Don't expect him to suddenly morph into a trusted relief option.

The ninth inning got so bad, in fact, that utility infielder Hanser Alberto had to come off the bench to pitch and record the last two outs.

That's right: The Sox had a position player pitching because they got their asses totally kicked in their home opener.

The game did not sell out, and you can't blame fans for not showing up.

The Sox are 2-3 so far this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment