Thursday, June 8, 2023

White Sox-Yankees game postponed because of ... wildfire smoke

One phrase I've retired from my vocabulary is, "Now I've seen everything." Because just when I think I've seen everything, something else happens.

Wednesday's game between the White Sox and the New York Yankees was postponed because smoke from Canadian wildfires has caused hazardous air quality in New York City. That's a new one for me.

The teams plan to play a straight doubleheader, starting at 3 p.m. Central time Thursday.

Frankly, I'm a little bit surprised by those plans. With no rain in the forecast, do they expect this hazardous smoke to clear out by Thursday afternoon?

Nine innings of baseball is hazardous on Wednesday night, but 18 innings of baseball on Thursday afternoon and evening should be fine? Hmmm. I won't pretend to be an expert -- and after the past three years, who believes experts anymore anyway? -- but I'm skeptical this is going to work out. I hope it does, because I always prefer that baseball be played.

My thought was maybe it would be prudent to move the remaining two games of this series to a city that is not dealing with these issues. I can tell you the air quality is just fine in Chicago right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment