Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Grinder Bash 2019 at Guaranteed Rate Field: Let's kill the fun!

Remember my post about Grinder Bash 2018? More than a year later, it's still getting some web traffic. We had some fun visiting the home clubhouse at Guaranteed Rate Field and took a few pictures chronicling what we found.

Well, guess what? That's not allowed anymore. When I walked into the White Sox clubhouse Saturday for Grinder Bash 2019, I had at least two people telling me that no pictures would be allowed (even though I had neither camera nor smartphone in hand at the time).

So, the Gestapo has ruined another event that used to be fun for Sox fans, and I must say that wasn't the only disappointment we experienced at Grinder Bash this year.

The event was from 4 to 7 p.m., but we didn't get inside the stadium until about 4:45. The Sox only opened Gate 2, and they had only three people scanning fans in. Thus, the line was wrapped practically around the stadium. In previous years, they had at least two gates open, but I guess Jerry Reinsdorf didn't want to pay too many people to work an event that occurs while the Sox are on the road.

So, the three-hour event was basically cut to two hours for some people. Free food is offered, which is great, but unfortunately, they started closing the food stands at 5:45 p.m. Better eat quick, folks! And they started shooing people out of the stadium at 6:30. We were scolded for wanting to use the bathroom in the Craft Kave at 6:35 p.m. I thought the event went until 7, you know?

I got the impression the Sox wanted their employees to leave the stadium by 7 p.m. If that's the case, tell fans the event is from 4 to 6. And let everyone in on time. Grinder Bash is for season-ticket holders only -- these are the Sox's best customers. Why are we being hurried along and treated like this? Anything for Reinsdorf to save a buck, I guess. Those hourly employees need to go home.

So, no home clubhouse pictures this year, but here are some other notable moments from the day:


I did snap this picture in the tunnel leading from the clubhouse to the dugout, before the guards noticed. Although I agree with the message, the Sox obviously don't do a very good job of "ruthless execution of the basics," nor do they ever seem to improve at the basics. But at least it is emphasized, I guess.


I needed to get a new picture with the 2005 World Series trophy now that I'm a much older man. I look very young in the previous pictures I've taken with the trophy. Too bad it feels as though the Sox will never win another one.


This will probably be the only time I have the chance to sit in the CBIC Fan Box, so I figured I may as well take a picture of the view from there.


And, finally, Jen and I standing on the warning track in straightaway center field. This is probably the happiest we will be at Guaranteed Rate Field this season, because the Sox weren't there to lose another game!

No comments:

Post a Comment