Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Carlos Rodon as a reliever? He doesn't think so ...

Carlos Rodon
White Sox left-hander Carlos Rodon doesn't have a reputation for durability. While he has quality pitches and his results have been respectable, the five-year veteran has never made more than 28 starts in a season.

And in the past three seasons, Rodon has not made more than 20 starts. In 2019, the former first-round pick made only seven starts before injuring his left elbow, requiring season-ending Tommy John surgery.

That means Rodon won't be available until the second half of this season in the best-case scenario. The Sox have planned accordingly. With Lucas Giolito, Dallas Keuchel, Reynaldo Lopez, Gio Gonzalez and Dylan Cease projected as the Opening Day rotation -- and Michael Kopech likely to push for a spot sooner rather than later -- there doesn't appear to be any room for Rodon, even if he makes a healthy return come July or August.

Does that mean Rodon is destined for the bullpen? With his velocity and outstanding slider, those two pitches could play nicely in the late innings. However, the pitcher doesn't see himself in that role.

“In my heart, I think I’m a starter,” Rodon told MLB.com's Scott Merkin. “I’m not a bullpen arm. Yeah, I could throw 100 mph, but I’m not a bullpen arm. I know I can be a starter. I’ve shown it in the past. Yes, I haven’t been as durable as I can be, but people have seen me eat eight, nine innings.

“So, why would you take that away from me when you know I can throw? I know this sounds kind of arrogant, going into the eighth inning, you know I throw 98 mph. I think the White Sox think the same way.”

Rodon also indicated he has no intention of stepping aside and conceding a rotation spot to any of his teammates.

“This is not a jab at any of my teammates, but I hope to God they know I’m coming. It’s a competition,” Rodon told Merkin. “Whoever is best is going to have the job.

“That’s a statement to boost my teammates. I don’t want my job taken away. But just know that I’m right here and I’m going to come back, and I’m coming back for my job. I know it’s not going to be handed to me, but I’m coming for it.”

Actually, I commend Rodon for this attitude, and I am pulling for him to make a full recovery and be the pitcher he was drafted to be. For a long time, I've longed for the Sox to have competition for spots in the starting rotation.

Take Lopez, as an example. He had a terrible 2019, and there were times he probably deserved to be demoted to the bullpen, and manager Rick Renteria at times questioned Lopez's focus. However, Lopez remained in the rotation because there was nobody else who could conceivably take his spot.

When that happens, guys are maybe a little bit too comfortable. When you've got five rotation spots, and only two or three guys who are worth a damn, that's a serious problem.

But when you've got seven guys battling for five spots, and all seem like reasonable options, that's actually not a problem at all. That's exactly the scenario you want.

I hope Rodon backs up these words and pushes hard to get his job in the rotation back. That would be a terrific development for the Sox.

No comments:

Post a Comment