Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Rumor mill: Mets reportedly interested in Liam Hendriks

This story popped up on MLB.com Tuesday. MLB Network insider Jon Heyman reported the New York Mets are talking to the White Sox about a trade for Liam Hendriks.

I've learned through the years to never say never, but I'm not seeing a match here. Earlier this offseason, the Mets retained their incumbent closer, Edwin Diaz, by signing him to a five-year, $102 million contract. New York does not need a ninth inning guy.

Not to mention, the Mets also signed David Robertson to a one-year deal. Robertson is a veteran reliever with ample closing experience, should Diaz get injured or falter. On Tuesday, the Mets signed reliever Adam Ottavino to a two-year, $14.5 million deal.

It seems to me that the Mets are set for innings 7, 8 and 9. I get that they are looking to accumulate an embarrassment of riches this offseason, so maybe that's why they've inquired about Hendriks.

That said, what is in it for the Sox? As all Sox fans know, the team has holes at second base and in right field. And Hendriks might be their most attractive trade chip. In my way of thinking, that means any trade involving Hendriks has to include a starting-caliber second baseman or outfielder coming the other way.

Are the Mets trading the Sox their starting second baseman, Jeff McNeil? I don't think so. Why would they do that going into a season where they have World Series expectations? Do the Mets have an extra left-handed corner outfielder that could start in right field for the Sox? No, it doesn't look like it to me. Maybe I'm wrong, and someone will correct me.

What's the motivation for the deal here, for either side?

I saw one proposal today that had the Mets acquiring Hendriks for a package of prospects. This also makes little sense. The Sox might be foolhardy in their belief that they can win in 2023, but the signing of Andrew Benintendi this past weekend signals they are still going for it.

And if they are going for it, why wouldn't they want Hendriks to continue as their closer?

1 comment:

  1. I’m glad we are keeping Hendricks. We need him more than any other team.

    ReplyDelete