Wednesday, February 1, 2023

I've decided to skip White Sox Opening Day this year

It was a weird day for me. Today is the day that White Sox partial season ticket holders, like me, can purchase single-game tickets before they go on sale to the general public.

The Sox send you an email to make you aware of the designated time you can sign into your account, and they give you a password. For many years, I've logged on the second I could to secure my tickets for Opening Day, which is not a part of my 20-game ticket plan. 

But not this year.

Today, I simply deleted the email and went about my Wednesday afternoon as usual. It felt strange, but it was something I decided to do. 

You see, I'm not going to Opening Day this season, for a couple of different reasons. First of all, I'm going to be on vacation in Florida from March 27 to 31, which means I'm scheduled to return to work on April 3 -- the day of the home opener. And I have a deadline to meet April 4, so it seems like a big ask at work to have April 3 off after I'm on vacation for the entire week prior.

However, there's more to it than that. To be honest, the only reason I renewed my ticket plan this season is because I would miss going to baseball games with my family and friends if I didn't. I need to go to some games because it's good for my mental health.

It isn't because I'm excited about the season. As a matter of fact, I'm not excited at all about the 2023 White Sox, and I'm not particularly interested in giving them any more money than I already have. The price of the 20-game plan to sit in the 500 level at Guaranteed Rate Field is more than enough.

I have no plans to attend any extra games outside of my ticket plan, not even the home opener. The Sox just haven't earned that kind of support from me. It's sad to say, but every year I feel more and more disconnected from the team.

I know they don't care about their paying customers. That's just the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment