Monday, January 10, 2022

Talking about GMs with lousy won-loss records ...

Rick Hahn
Today I filled out the 2022 White Sox fan survey, offered by James Fegan of The Athletic. 

Of course, I brought my usual bitterness to the party. When asked for my favorite current Sox player, I replied, "None. I don't like this team." (Seriously, I don't have a favorite player on the Sox roster.)

And I'll be curious to know whether I'm the only respondent who said he wanted the Sox to change GMs. It's no secret I'm not a fan of Rick Hahn, and for whatever reason, many Sox fans do like Hahn. I've never quite understood why. ... Maybe it's just because he's not Ken Williams.

But in any case, this is going to be one of the rare occasions where I bring up football on this blog. I turned in my Bears fan card several years ago, and aside from the Super Bowl, I do not watch NFL games anymore.

However, everyone who lives in the Chicago metropolitan area knows the big sports news from Monday: The Bears fired coach Matt Nagy and general manager Ryan Pace.

In his seven years with the team, Pace compiled a 48-65 record, which pencils out to a .425 winning percentage.

On Chicago sports talk radio Monday, one of the talking heads reacted to that number. He asked, "What other professional sports organization would allow someone that terrible to keep his job for so long?"

Umm ... the Chicago White Sox? Through Hahn's first seven years on the job, the Sox went 491-642. That's a .433 winning percentage. Not much better than Pace and his .425 crap fest, right? 

I guess we should be kind to Hahn and note that through nine years, his clubs are 619-736. The winning percentage is up to a robust .457! And the Sox have two playoff wins under Hahn, and that's more than the Pace can say for his tenure with the Bears!

No comments:

Post a Comment